Design & Engineering Division – Landscape Design
As one of the world’s leading multi-disciplinary engineering consultancies, the Atkins Design & Engineering division works with both UK and International Clients to plan, design and enable some of the most challenging and complex building and infrastructure projects in the world.
The Design & Engineering division has around 1000 staff in the UK who provide their expertise in Architecture, Civil, Structural, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering; Surveying; and Programme and Project Management to multiple Clients within the UK and overseas.
We are looking to recruit a Landscape Architect undergraduate to join our Landscape Design team in our Bristol office.
Our Landscape Design team provide design and LVIA services for a variety of schemes including schools and colleges, new highway projects, flood defence works, major infrastructure schemes and commercial and residential projects in partnership with our architectural group.
The intention is for Placement Students to be provided with hands-on work on major projects as well as being given the opportunity to experience a wide range of projects being delivered within the Property and Design division of D&E. The nature of projects that you will be involved in depends upon what projects are being delivered during the year of 2013/14 and the experience / competence levels of the successful Placement Students. You will be working alongside recently qualified graduates as well as more experienced staff, and you will be given support throughout your placement to ensure that you make the most of your placement.
Working within Design & Engineering division you will undertake a range of activities dependent on the practice you join and the projects that are being delivered during your placement year. At a general level you will be expected to:
- Work within a team and you will be given the support required to produce technical work, as directed by your Practice Manager and/or your Line Manager/Mentor.
- Develop and demonstrate strong technical competence; finding new and better ways of doing things.
- Identify the overall project and business goals and help to achieve them.
- Meet, and where possible improve on, project targets set for time, quality and cost (i.e hours expended + expense costs) for technical work.
- Ensure that all of your work is appropriately checked and peer reviewed.
- Communicating effectively and build positive relationships with colleagues and clients, developing networks of contacts internally and externally.
- Showing initiative, but seek support and guidance in good time when in doubt.
- Maintain ethical standards and report any concerns appropriately.
Some work outside normal office hours may be necessary. Travel to and from client sites may also be required.
- Sound academic background.
- You will have an interest in working in the Design & Engineering industry and currently be studying towards an appropriate level degree, accredited by the relevant institution. Any previous industry experience or knowledge would be beneficial.
The successful candidates must be able to demonstrate evidence of:
- Drive and motivation to achieve chartered status and to continuously develop technical and behavioural skills
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and creating solutions
- Ability to work effectively in multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible approach to work
- Strong attention to detail and ability to make correct judgements
- Computer literacy
How to apply
If the above position is of interest please apply online at: www.atkinsglobal.co.uk/careers/graduates
From here if you keyword search ‘landscape’ you will see our current opportunity.