For the past 6 years I have worked for Pegasus Planning Group, which are a multi-disciplinary national town and country-planning consultancy. I work as part of the arboricultural and landscape design team, primarily working to support planning and urban design colleagues in the preparation of plans, reports, and specifications as part of submissions for planning applications.
Having studied at the University of Gloucestershire, I have undertaken and completed a B.A Honours Degree, Postgraduate Diploma and Masters in the field of Landscape Architecture. I have also since become an Associate member of IEMA and part way through the level 4 diploma in arboriculture to become a qualified arboriculturist. Being dual qualified means I have the rare opportunity to combine landscape architecture with arboriculture, helping to do the following;
- Undertake initial BS:5837:2012 tree surveys and write associated reports
- Prepare tree survey plans to be incorporated into design development
- Produce Retention/removal and protection plans
- Prepare indicative landscape proposals or masterplans
- Prepare detailed planting plans, written specifications, costings
- Prepare hard landscape plans and specifications with associated technical detailing
- Prepare landscape, ecological management plans for development sites
- Prepare method statements for landscape implementation i.e. tree planting in relation to coordinated utilities
- Provide advice to external consultants and planning/urban design colleagues relating to planting, landscape, trees in relation to development, trees/hedgerows and law
- Prepare additional reports/plans to satisfy planning conditions
The majority of the work is on behalf of house builders and more recently renewable energy sector companies for solar or wind energy.
I recommend the course due to the experience, guidance and support of the lecturers, as well as the content which includes a combination of creativity and technical knowledge across a broad range of areas from degree through to masters level. The course gives you a sound basis to build your career, in a profession that is broad and challenging. It provides you with the tools to make a difference and help shape the environment around you.